Once you’ve made the decision to use vinyl siding on your home’s exterior, the next step is to choose a contractor. A highly qualified contractor will be able to answer all of your questions with regards to siding choices; color, texture, profile etc. There are at least 10 questions that a Seattle Siding Contractor Expert will have no problems answering:
- How long have you been in the siding business? A contractor with limited experience will likely have limited knowledge and skill to match that experience. By choosing a contractor with enough experience to provide at least 5 years of prior references of prior jobs completed is preferable.
- Do you have a contractor license? By no means should you ever enter into a contractual agreement with a contractor that has no license! Absence of license = absence of contract!
- Are you insured and bonded in case of accidents? To protect your assets, the contractor must be bonded and insured (workman’s compensation) in case of mishaps. Otherwise, you could be held liable for accidents that occur on your property!
- What types of siding/material choices do you offer? You will find that some contractors carry/offer a personal favorite. This is not a bad thing, however, as there are generally reasons for that product being their favorite. Additionally, by handling a limited range of choices, you are assured that the contractor has a stellar relationship with the manufacturer and unparalleled expertise with its installation. Keep in mind that with superior products, only the best contractors are granted certification to sell and install the item.
- How soon can you begin work? Usually, once you are at the point of interviewing contractors, you have all the necessary funding in place and want to start the project immediately. Be certain that the contractor stipulates a start date allowing delivery times and completion of conflicting projects as a buffer. Don’t despair as it may take up to 1 month to begin work.
- How long will it take to complete this project? When a contractor quotes you a time limit for the work to be performed, be sure that he has taken into account inclement weather and other factors that are out of his control. Generally, a quality contractor will be able to estimate the completion date to within a couple of days.
- What is the cost to replace the siding? Be clear as to what the contractor’s quote includes. Make sure that all demolition, removal of debris and repairs are included. It is best to ask for a bid rather than an estimate; a bid is an all inclusive quote, where an estimate is just that — an estimate of what it may cost to complete the work.
- Does quoted price include demolition of existing siding? Be clear as to what condition the current structure must be in before the contractor begins work. If his quote does not include siding removal, either ask for a quote for the additional work, or plan to remove the siding yourself.
- Will you clean up the site? A quality contractor will include site clean-up as part of the quoted price. Be clear as to what the definition of site clean-up is! Some contractors will only clear debris that is created from the actual installation — if your contractor is also removing existing siding, be sure removal of same is included in price.